CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Apothecary, Ashmothecary

I went thrifting on Saturday last, (that sounded like Jane Austen, I know) and I have decided that thrifting for the purpose of finding furniture to make a living is not my favorite.  I could get lost in it if it's for fun, narrow dusty aisles of forgotten items, full of old spirits, buried in each other.  I could literally do it for days straight.  But if I have to find something specific, I hate it.  It's hurried and sometimes feels fruitless.  This last Saturday was no exception. 

I am going to try to stop posting prices.  I don't know why, but it makes me uncomfortable.  But I will say that the two pieces I picked up came at a steep price of a long day of thrifting, the kind I don't like.  But the dollar prices were very good. 

I was wandering aimlessly through suburbia, looking for garage sales, finding them but only seeing JUNK, and finally I remembered that Goodwill has it's 50% off everything in the store every other Saturday, and this was such a Saturday.  And since I had begun early, I made it to the door only an hour after they had opened. 

I wandered through the maze of broken junky furniture and came acrossed this strange little beauty.  I just went through my pictures and only found one, even though I am sure I took several before shots.  I swear my camera is losing pictures.  You can kind of get the idea with this picture.



 It's a reproduction apothecary cabinet, recently made, maybe even in the early 2000's. 

So it functions as a dresser, all the tiny drawers are actually a drawer face for two drawers. 

It was missing a leg so it wobbled terribly, and there were strange holes drilled into the back panel of the cubby on top.  It looked like something was missing. I knew it was nothing I couldn't fix. 

I painted almost all of it black, and wanted to keep the cool latin herbal titles that were on gold plaques.  So that meant I needed to keep the gold hardware, which I was okay with.  The six knobs on the mini drawer face facades were missing so I dug old brass knobs out of my growing collection. 

I distressed it a little and placed it on CL.  Within literally minutes I was getting calls and the first lady that called bought it when she arrived at my house 45 minutes later. 

I had no idea it would be such a hit.  I wont talk in dollars, but I will say it generated about triple my investment. 

Here is the after:


0 comments:

Post a Comment