CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 21, 2011

Truly Old and All That Comes With It...

This dresser popped up on CL and I couldn't believe my eyes. This woman was selling a solid wood, antique, oversized dresser for $25. She had no idea what she had, and I later told her as much.

I was on my way to a movie with my teenage boys when it appeared, and I called and begged her to hold it for me until we were out of the movie. I knew my boys would not be happy about a detour from the movies. Besides that, it was way in the opposite direction.

She said she was sorry, but she could not hold it. She was being bombarded with calls, which of course made me even more ravenous. I hung up the phone and started to strategize. Who could I call? Was there anyone I could pay to go get it? I didn't want to go too high in the price, so I thought, who could I give $10 or $15 bucks to go get it for me?

Then it hit me... give the $10 to the seller. I called and said that I would offer her $35 to hold it until 6:00. She agreed. I was elated.

And when I saw it in person, I was elated again. It's very tall, elegant, and very very old. She looked frazzled, and said she had recieved dozens of calls in the two hours since I reserved it. Score.

I hauled it home and painted it up. The whole time I was painting it I felt guilty. I know I have something against natural wood grain. I don't know what it is. I don't like it ... most of the time. I think it just looks better painted. This piece was pretty gorgeous in it's natural state, and over the moon now that it's painted.

I am looking for a skeleton key for all the little locks. They seem to work and are ... a little mysterious. I don't know what it is, but this piece looks like something you would see in a haunted house. I love the "Jane Eyre" quality to it. There's even a drawer face with a burnt edge. If you have ever read the book, you would know why that's intriguing.

I am not selling this one for now. My two daughters needed a dresser in their room and I am keeping it. An indulgence, I know. But one I think I might deserve. *** UPDATE*** jennie came in last night and said she doesn't like that dresser in her room. It's too big for her little space. So I am selling it now... just posted it on CL for $190. Anyone here who is interested, please let me know!





Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

0 comments:

Post a Comment